Project 11 - Drawing fruit and veg

Exercise Using hatching to create tone


 

This onion was drawn using watercolour pencils. I sketched the rough shape and tones of the onion, then went over it all with a wet brush, waited for it to dry then repeated the process. I really like the way this has turned out. I took the first image before I wet it, just in case it went really wrong, but think it worked out really well. Wetting the drawing, aloud the colours to blend together much better, and allowed more colours to be worked over the top of it. I had tried to add white to just the pencil, but it wouldn't show, however after it had to wet and dry, it took up the white much better, and gave the appearance of the vertical lines running down the onion. The wetting also made the onion look much more shiny, and gave it real depth. I also found that dabbing the wet drawing with a cloth took away the colour - adding to the highlighting.



This apple is made using soft pastels - and my first successful attempt using them! The shadows look a little too flat, but I felt the apple worked well in terms of colours and depth.


The melon was drawn using oil pastels and was a nightmare. I tried adding colours and they just seem to slide around on top of each other. As this was my first really attempt of drawing using oil pastels, I went online and watched a video, in which the artist managed to build up colours and blend colours together. I decided that maybe the really cheap opil pastels that I had might have something to do with it, as I just couldn't get the to behave the same way I've seen other people use them. I end up rubbing a lot of the colour off of this drawing, and whilst the shape and colour is completely wrong - it did make some interesting textures.


My final still life was of slices of tangerine, pomegranate and kiwi. After the success of the apple (and my disappointment with the flower pencil drawing) I decided to use pastels. I used the surface of my wooden table to almost take a rubbing for the wooden chopping board, then added the other details in. I was concious to use bold lines and not just smudge the pastels as I have done with the apple. Overall I am really pleased with the final drawing. There are several areas that could be improved, such as the harsh shading and shape of the chopping board (which should of been much narrower at the bottom). I could also do with more practise and a steadier hand, as I can tend to be very heavy handed, which doesn't fit well with pastels! But overall I feel the colours and shape of the fruit and knife work really well - especially the handle of the knife. 

Exercise Using markers or dip pens


I tried the melon again, this time with aquamarkers. I hatched the colours then sprayed the whole thing with water. The colours blended really well, and the way the marker bled out gave some really interesting (melon-like) patterns. 

However I did start to feel more like I was experimenting in mark making than completing the drawing exercise - so I left the melon alone and moved on.

 

I went onto sketching the passion fruit and tangerine in aquamarkers, and blending them with a blending marker. I had a play with markers and drawing ink, but thought the markers would give a stronger more precise feel. I feel this drawing is much more lively and fun that the pastel still life. The bottom of the right passion fruit slice is a little out and the tangerine is a little misshapen but I think this adds to it's liveliness. I did find it a bit hard to control the markers, as they are quiet chunky, so I may invest in some thinner tipped ones.

Exercise Drawing using oil pastel

I haven't done this section yet - as I realised I need new oil pastels.





No comments:

Post a Comment