Creating a portfolio


My first sample was made using circles of wall top on a felt background, inspired by the Moroccan tanneries. I felted the circles onto the felt, then turned it over and felt it from behind, this resulted in the front turning fluffy and colours merging into the background better.

I wasn't very happy with the layout of the first sample and the fact that some of the circles want very round (even though they weren't all perfectly round in the original photo), so I tried again, but this time sandwiching he the wall tops between a backing and a second piece of felt with circular holes cut out. this resulted in a more uniform block of colour ... although the felting process did distort circles somewhat. Overall I'm much more please with this outcome.

For my second sample, I edited the photo of the boats in Photoshop to create a pixelised image. I then limited the colours and attempted to make a small quilt. I tried dying the fabric myself (using powdered procion dyes - for the 1st time - to mix the colours), but was not successful in getting the right shades (I would need to perfect my dying techniques if this was to be any more than a sample). The quilting itself is also a bit dodgy, as it was rushed, but I was not sure how perfect the samples were meant to be. But all in all, I love the effect, and feel (made properly) this would make a really beautiful full-size quilt.

This sample is made using the shoe rubber, printed onto white fabric in an alternate alternate repeat pattern. To add colour, I then painted the negative shapes using Dye-na-flow ( which is a free flowing liquid colour). again this is the first time I have used this product, so did not anticipate it would bleed so much. It may be worth printing with something that resists the dye, or adding a resist around the shoe shapes before painting. when this sample was finished, I wasn't sure whether I liked it or not. But now I'm looking back on it, I really like the way the colour is in the negative spaces. I think if this was repeated over a larger scale and may be the shoes were made using a screen print to get a clearer print it would be more successful.

I made a second Prince use an issue rubber that this time wanted to concentrate on the actual shoes, so painted the negative space a neutral colour. I then added embroidery and beads onto the tops of the shoes, to add an element of the traditional leather shoemaking. I like the mix of printing and embroidery, but not sure of the colours. I this sample was to be developed, I would play around with printing and background colours, to see what worked best.

This piece was inspired by my abstract image of the boat photo. I created this using various layers of netting, organza, painted bond work, and papers. I use a heat gun to melt and distort the netting, so that some of the turquoise organza showed through. I lastly stitched on some red velvet, to make sure it was the most dominant colour. I'm not sure how I feel about this sample, I really enjoy the more abstract work from textile artists such as Jan Beany and Jean Littlejohn, but feels this is completely lacking in something... but I can't put my finger on what is!


The following samples are based on the prints and rubbings from the lamp glass. I loved the pattern from the glass, and the way it came out as a rubbing. I experimented with (water soluble) Gelato sticks (left) and Markel sticks (right) onto fabric. I love the way the Markel rubbings come out - especially the metallic ones, and feel these designs could be incorporated well into some thing, as part of a bigger piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment